(2014 Date = 9.14.2014) What is the Virginia Endurance Series?
2013 GNM VES - Pictures LINK
Virginia Mountain Bike Trail from Adventure Seen on Vimeo.
Ride Start Time = 9am
Map of & Directions to Ride Start: http://goo.gl/maps/GFiwS
Ride Start Coordinates: 38.759543,-78.841171
This VES event will have 2 length options:
- GNM route which is a 4-6 hour ride (after climbing 568 turn left onto Great North Mt 1009 - see map below), and ...
- GNM + Trout Pond, Figure 8, 55 mile route (adds Thorny Bottom Rd and the Long Mountain Trail / 1007).
|The overlook above Trout Pond.|
|A view from the Great North Mountain ridge.|
- 15 miles west of Mt. Jackson, VA - Exit 273 on I81
- 25m Northwest of Harrisonburg
- 1h30m from Charlottesville
- 2h from Washington DC and Frederick, MD
- 2h15m from Roanoke
- 2h30m from Richmond
All trails (EXCEPT the two drawn in red trails in the image below) are easily visible on National Geographic Trails Illustrated Map #792 (click here to buy map #792):
|The 2 drawn-in RED trails above are not on map #792 - please make note of them!|
Cue Sheet: Thank you Kyle Lawrence!
Raw GPX File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rzm3s0f3soqvjfi/GNM53.gpx Note: I drew this route with the National Geographic Trails Illustrated Explorer Software, it is not an actual ride GPX route, so the trail and waypoint locations will all be approximate.)
GPX File (Courtesy of Zack. Trail locations are approximate):
NOTE: Ride Start / Tomahawk Pond is at route mile 27.95 on this map.