What is the Virginia Endurance Series?
Start Time: 9am, Sunday October 20th
Start Location: Sherando Lake
Start Location Map / Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/OCK30
FOLDER containing all Full Resolution Route Images: LINKDrawn GPX File: LINK
Distance: ~41 miles
Climbing: ~7,100 feet
Route Overview: Courtesy of Bill Hazlegrove of the Hazlegrove Agency www.hazlegroveagency.com
For a high-resolution JPG and an easy printing PDF CLICK HERE
1. From parking lot at the back of Sherando lake camp ground near upper lake dam, take a right at gate to field.
2. Follow Slacks Run trail all the way up to a right on Torry Ridge. There will be a couple lefts along the way. If you take either of these by accident, you’ll end up in a parking lot along the Parkway.
3. Ride Torry Ridge ~4.5 miles then descend taking a left (~9.7 miles into the ride). Very steep and narrow here. At the bottom of the descent there is a no-name trail to the right, stay left through a dry creek with a steep climb out. Fun little section with some small jumps.
Bailout option: If you take a right at the top to “Torry Furnace”, you can take the paved road route 664 back to Sherando lake.
4. After crossing a small creek, take a left in the “vehicle turn around” onto Mill Creek / Turkey Pen Ridge. Follow this trail all the way to the top of the mountain. The local challenge is to make the switch back climb all the way up without stopping or clicking out of your pedals. The last 100 yards to the camp spot are the hardest. Good luck.
Bailout option: turn left onto jeep road and follow direction from line 7 below
5. Turn right and follow the jeep road for ~3-3.5 miles and turn right onto Kennedy Ridge trail. This trail starts out with some fun rock sections then a fast descent to the coal road.
Bailout option: Turn right and follow coal road all the way back to route 664
6. Turn left on the coal road. After ~3 miles yield left onto jeep road. You will climb for ~5-5.5 miles on the jeep road (stay on switch backs). You will pass by the Kennedy Ridge trail head again in the opposite direction.
7. Just past the camping spot at the top of Mill Creek / Turkey Pen Ridge trail on the jeep road, you will yield left off the main jeep road. Less than a couple hundred yards up this dirt road, turn left on Torry Ridge trail. Along this section of Torry Ridge is a very challenging rock section. Please be careful!
Just over a mile down Torry Ridge, take a left back onto Slacks Run. Follow this back to car.
Miles 0 to 7: